Advice on parenting

Family life has its ups and downs and we all need some extra support at times to help us be the best parents or carers we can – and to protect our wellbeing and that of our loved ones. Whether you are a parent, grandparent or other family member, have a look at the Parenting pages to get more information.

Dealing with relationship problems

Dealing with relationship problems can be very difficult. If you feel your relationship has broken down, you can get help to try and get things back on track or even to end the relationship.

Relate provide a range of services to help you with couple and family relationships. They can provide advice about everything from separation and divorce, to family life and parenting regardless of your age or sexuality. You can talk to someone online, by email or telephone counselling, or even arrange to see someone.

Sexual health

Brook Health Clinics will provide sexual health services to young people, such as free condoms, contraception advice, and testing for pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections. They have clinics in Weaste, Walkden, Bolton College and Swinton. Services are free, confidential, and you don’t have to bring a parent - even if you are under 16.

The Goodman Centre also provides confidential advice on a range of areas such as contraception, STI, pregnancy, or if you have been sexually assaulted or raped.

Try your local pharmacist if you need emergency contraception the day after.

Abusive relationships

If you or someone you know is in a relationship where you feel threatened or frightened and you want help, there are options available. It might be helpful just to talk to someone - even if you don’t want to do anything about it.  

If you've decided you want to leave, Salford Housing Options can provide advice on where to go.

If you are a child or young person and are worried about abuse, go to the Hideout to find help or talk to a teacher, a neighbour, a friend or a friend’s parent.