Know your numbers
Here are some of the reasons why every adult in the UK needs to 'know their numbers':
- 1 in 3 adults in the UK (16 million) has high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure is the biggest known cause of premature death and disability in the UK due to the strokes, heart attacks and heart disease it causes. It is also a risk factor for kidney disease and dementia.
- More than 5 million people don't know they have high blood pressure - that's why it's called the silent killer.
- People with high blood pressure are 3 times more likely to develop heart disease and stroke and twice as likely to die from these as people with normal blood pressure.
- Each year, 125,000 adults in the UK have a heart attack or stroke in which high blood pressure is a key factor - that's a preventable stroke or heart attack every 4 minutes.
- High risk groups include the over 55s, people of African Caribbean descent, and people of South Asian origin who are more prone to other vascular conditions.
Source: Blood Pressure Association 2016
Find out your numbers
Go to our “Pressure Testing Stations” at:
- Morrisons, Eccles - Tuesday 6th September
- Tesco, Walkden - Tuesday 13th September
- Tesco, Pendleton - Tuesday 13th September
- Tesco, Pendleton - Friday 16th September
- Swinton Big Day Out, Swinton Gateway - Saturday 17th September